Thursday, September 9, 2010

Shedding Tears and Creating Memories

We are wrapping up Week 4 at Frontier West. We have accomplished so much! This post explains what we've been up to since my last "progress" post (at the end of Week 2):

Language Arts:
Read-to: We finished reading Shiloh yesterday. As we read, we discussed the character development, the circumstances and consequences around the main character's lies, courage, family. . . they were each given a list of many choices for final projects; both chose to create PowerPoint presentations. They have already fully created their PPt presentations, including the story elements, their favorite part, their recommendation, and their text-self and text-text connections. They have shared their PowerPoint with their classmates and received quality feedback. We'll start a new book tomorrow.

Guided Reading: We have read several articles from Time for Kids, Texas Parks and Wildlife for Kids, and from websites. They're practicing taking notes, identifying cause and effect, and summarizing.

Writing Workshop: YaYa has gone through the whole writing process on her second story. She incorporated all the information from minilessons and created a really detailed story. Elliot is still drafting his second story, adding a great deal of details, and using his thesaurus regularly.

Cuddle-on-the-couch-after-lunch Reading: We finished reading Where the Red Fern Grows today, through major tears. I cried, they cried, YaYa claimed she hated the book, didn't want to finish it, and never wanted to read it again. I told them it was my favorite book, even though I cry every time I read it. The first time I read it, I read it on-the-couch-cuddling-with-my-Mommy, and we cried so hard at the end that neither one of us could read the ending out loud. I told them this story and as I "rocked" their tears away. I told them I couldn't wait to hear how their children liked it the first time they read it to them. We were pretty spent for the day, but we definitely created a memory.

Math:
Elliot is multiplying with double digits. He's using models and is beginning to use the algorithm.
YaYa is adding and subtracting with re-grouping. She used models for awhile but is beginning to use the algorithm.

Science:
We've finished up all the extreme weathers in Texas (droughts, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods [and dams], blizzards) and will now learn a little bit about meterology before tackling our next topic. We studied floods and flash floods the day that Hurricane Hermine dumped on Austin, flooding much of the town. It was great for them to have background knowledge right in the middle of it, but it also caused a little stress and some fretting about our safety. Everyone piled in the master bedroom that night!

Social Studies:
YaYa has completed her research on the Texas Indians, and we will use her results to start our Texas History lessons. Elliot has researched Davy Crockett, and has gotten on an Abraham Lincoln kick. So, even though it doesn't directly tie to our Texas History curriculum, I'm letting his interests drive his work, so he's researching Abraham Lincoln right now.

We're having a remarkable experience. I'm so proud to be the mom and teacher of these two amazing children. I am blessed.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent work, people! I especially like that you're learning about drama (Where the Red Fern Grows) and having quality time together. I especially like that you're taking turns critiquing one another's work products.

    ReplyDelete