Monday, August 9, 2010

School Supplies

The kids and I went shopping for our school supplies on Saturday. I printed out my curriculum that morning (I'll be following the Texas public schools' state-mandated curriculum, the TEKS). I also prepared our before-field-trip activities for Monday, before we head to the Bob Bullock History of Texas Museum on Tuesday. We'll be doing science experiments in preparation for viewing the exhibits on Texas Weather, and we'll be completing some KWL charts about Texas History before meandering our way through the exhibits of the events that shaped out state. Surrounded by several piles of paper, I realized it was time for some notebooks. So, we went for school supplies!

We didn't need much--everyone at Frontier West (including the teacher) needs:
1. a three-ring binder with dividers for each subject area
2. a composition book for our Writer's Notebook
3. lots of notebook paper (Office Max had 100-sheet packs for 20 cents a pack-- a limit of 6; I'll probably go back another day and get 6 more)
4. pocketed, bradded notebooks for field trips/field experiences
5. a whiteboard (8.5 x 11)
6. highlighters
7. sticky notes
8. pretty pencils

Not much, really. But boy did we have fun shopping, and bringing everything home, and labeling everything with our names and our school name/mascot!! As we were sorting and labeling everything, I said, "I don't think I've ever been this excited about a school year. . . and I've had decades of beginnings-of-school-years!" Both kids chimed in, "Me neither!" (I realize their sentiments might not have the impact that mine have since they've only experienced a few beginnings-of-school-years, but they really are excited! -- YaYa has been asking if we can just start the school year now several times a day since Saturday. She says, "I'm just so excited. . . I don't want to wait until the 17th.") (actually, we'll be doing prep work on the 16th, now, so I guess that's our "official" first day--one less day to wait!)

The kids also made nametags for their desks (oversized t.v. trays that slide under my desk for storage, but can slide around the office area as needed for proximity to the teacher, the computer, whatever...). And YaYa made herself a number line, because, as she said, "I still need that to help me with subtracting sometimes." To see their desks with a little bit of their personalities is fun!

Today, we purchased "locker crates" for each kid and a bigger one for me. These will hold their school supplies and can be toted from room to room if necessary. They conveniently tuck underneath their desks.

I think we're all set. Now we just wait! In the meantime there is fun to be had: the kids are participating in a golf camp M - TH mornings this week, and on Thursday after golf camp, the kids, my mom, and I head to the dude ranch 'til Sunday. . . and then we start!!!!! YEE HAW!

No comments:

Post a Comment